The Foundation for Women & Girls with Blood DIsorders invites you to attend our next webinar, "Rare Bleeding Disorder Manifestations in Women and Girls," on Tuesday, October 10, 2017, from 4:00 - 5:00 EDT.
Young girls and women with rare bleeding disorders (RBD) like PAI-1 Deficiency and Type 2M VWD may experience heavy menstrual bleeding, antenatal and postpartum bleeding of varying severities. An accurate diagnosis is essential in the care of these patients. However, due to the rarity of these disorders, the diagnosis is challenging as they can masquerade as other bleeding disorders unless there is a high index of clinical suspicion.
Additionally, there are some syndromes associated with thrombocytopenia, inherited platelet disorders, factor deficiencies, connective tissue disorders, and vascular abnormalities, which pose a real risk of bleeding for women associated with trauma or surgeries. The risk of bleeding is not often an obvious feature of the syndrome and not well documented. Therefore understanding the hemostatic abnormalities associated with these various congenital syndromes would be important to prepare a patient prior to a major surgical procedure and avoid prolonged bleeding and /or unnecessary use of products to prevent bleeding.
Participants in this Webinar will be able to describe these rare disorders as well as the laboratory diagnostic pitfalls. And they will be able to discuss the current best practices in the treatment and management of women and young girls with these rare disorders.
At the conclusion of this Webinar, participants would be able to:
• Recognize common clinical syndromes that can cause bleeding in girls and women
• Recognize the common bleeding symptoms of Type 2M VWD and PAI-1 deficiency in females.
• Recognize the importance and value of obtaining a thorough bleeding history in the evaluation of these syndromes.
• Understand the diagnostic dilemmas in identifying these rare bleeding disorders.
• Know and appropriately apply available therapeutics/treatments in the optimal management of bleeding complications in these rare bleeding disorders in females during the reproductive years.
This Webinar will be given by the following presenters:
Amy D. Shapiro, MD
CEO and Medical Director, Indiana Hemophilia & Thrombosis Center, Inc.
Adjunct Professor, Pediatrics
Michigan State University
Sweta Gupta, MD
Indiana Hemophilia & Thrombosis Center, Inc.
Suchitra S. Acharya, MD, MBBS
Director, Long Island Jewish Hemophilia Treatment Center Northwell Health
Program Head - Bleeding Disorders and Thrombosis Program
Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York
Professor of Pediatrics
Hofstra - Northwell Health School of Medicine
To REGISTER FOR THIS WEBINAR, please:
- Complete the pre-test questions below.
- Then, click on the SUBMIT button at the bottom of this page.
- Your registration link for the live Webinar will then be sent to your email from GoToWebinar.